Things get easy for Apple, Microsoft and some of the Lenovo users since these manufacturers use proprietary charge ports. However, other companies use barrel type ports, which can be quite a headache since many laptop models, even within the same company use different barrel sizes.
A barrel tip is often listed in the format OD (outer diameter) x ID (inner diameter). For example, 5.5 x 2.1mm means its outer diameter is 5.5mm and the inner diameter is 2.1mm.
To get the correct size of your laptop's barrel tip size, we recommend you:
1. Ask the laptop manufacturer directly
(However, not all manufacturers are as responsive as we are)
2. search ' [your laptop model name] + charger ' on Amazon
Normally some 3-rd party charger companies will gracefully list the barrel size in the product description.
3. You can also measure it yourself with a vernier caliper or similar like below
- Use the outside jaws to measure the outer diameter
- Use the inner jaws to measure the inside diameter
Below are common barrel tip sizes of some major brands.
(You can order the ones in bold directly from us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please search on Amazon and eBay for other ones at the moment)
1. Dell: 7.4x5.0mm, 4.5x3.0mm
2. HP: 7.4x5.0mm, 4.5x3.0mm, 4.0x1.7mm
3. Lenovo/IBM: 7.9x5.4mm, 5.5x2.5mm, square tip
4. Acer: 5.5x1.7mm
5. ASUS: 5.5x2.5mm, 4.0x1.35mm